Covering about 70% of the planet, our oceans are the foundation for life on Earth. However, only a fraction of its potential and treasures have been explored. The Leon H. Charney School of Marine Sciences at the University of Haifa sees as its goal, challenge and responsibility, to study the different settings of the marine environment and to assure sustainable development of its resources for future generations.
The School is a scientific institution with a strong applicative aspect. Interdisciplinary research is stressed and encouraged. We invite undergraduates from a wide range of fields to join us in the unique challenge and experience of marine exploration while securing a professional future in leading fields.
The school houses three departments offering advanced degree programs, the Mediterranean Sea Research Center of Israel and the Chair in Marine Strategy Research.
- The Department of Marine Biology offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. graduate programs. Students in the Department of Marine Biology study the biological and ecological processes of the rich and fascinating marine system – at multiple scales from microns to oceans.
- The Department of Maritime Civilizations offers M.A. and Ph.D. graduate programs as well as an international M.A. program, within the fields of Coastal and Underwater Archaeology, Maritime History, Coastal and Marine Geomorphology, Marine Biology and Sea Resources.
- The Department of Marine Geosciences offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. graduate programs, as well an international M.Sc. program, Using the Eastern Mediterranean as a natural marine laboratory. the Department provides students with a unique opportunity to develop practical scientific experience at sea, together with a rigorous academic curriculum.
- The Department (under construction) for Marine Technologies in the School of Marine Sciences at the University of Haifa is an Academic Department for Technological Research, that aims to support and develop knowledge, infrastructure and advanced equipment for practical research at sea and specifically in the deep sea, and be a national infrastructure for the study of the sea.
- The Mediterranean Sea Research Center of Israel (MERCI) is a consortium of six universities and two governmental research institutes, working under the leadership of the University of Haifa, to address an unprecedented array of scientific, technological, economic, security, and environmental challenges and opportunities.
- The Chair for Maritime Strategy Research is dedicated to studying key strategic, geographic and legal issues of the maritime domain. This is achieved through a wide perspective encompassing security, legal aspects, diplomacy and economy and by studying their effect on the national security of the State of Israel.
The best is yet to be discovered