Permanent Home Address: Haklaim St. 4, Kefar Bialik, 27905, Israel
Home Telephone Number: 972-4-8713879
Office Telephone Number: 972-4-8240246
Cellular Phone: 972-054-8196192
Fax Number: 972-4-8240493
Electronic address: email@example.com
1973 – BA in Physical Geography and Jewish History, University of Haifa.
1982 – MA in the Department of Maritime Civilizations, University of Haifa.
1995 – Ph.D in the Institute of Earth Sciences, Department of Geology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Over the last two decades I have focused on gaining professional experience, mainly in two intimately connected subjects:
a. The reconstruction of the coastal environment, mainly in the Holocene, recently designated also as 'Landscape Archaeology' due to the integration of human settlement records.
b. Indications of sea-levels over the last 10,000 years, with the emphasis on the last 2-3 millennia and the last 1,000 years. Lately I have also been working again on the MIS5.5 sea-levels at the Galilee coast.
Sivan, D., 1996. “Paleogeography of the Galilee Coastal Plain during the Quaternary”. Monograph of the Geological Survey, Israel, GSI/18/96. Geological Survey of Israel, Jerusalem, 214 pp. (In Hebrew, English abstract).
Articles in Refereed Journals
1. Inbar, M. and Sivan, D. 1984. Paleo-urban Development and Late Quaternary Environmental Change in the Akko Area. Paléorient, Vol. 9/2: 85-91.
2. Sivan, D., Gvirtzman, G., Sass, E. 1999. Quaternary Stratigraphy and Paleogeography of the Galilee Coastal Plain, Israel. Quaternary Research, 51, 280-294.
3. Sivan, D. and Galili, E. 1999. Holocene Tectonic Activity in the Coastal and Shallow Shelf of the Western Galilee, Israel, a Geological and Archaeological Study. Israel Journal of Earth Sciences, 48: 47-61.
4. Sivan, D., Wdowinski, S., Lamback, K., Galili, E., and Raban, A. 2001. Holocene sea-level changes along the Mediterranean coast of Israel, based on archaeological observations and Numerical model. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 167, 101-117.
5. Sivan, D., Eliyahu, Ds., and Raban, A. 2004. Late Pleistocene to Holocene wetlands now covered by sand, along the Carmel coast, Israel, and their relation to human settlement: an example from the coastal site of Dor. Journal of Coastal Research 20: 97-110.
6. Sivan, D., Lambeck, K., Toueg, R., Raban, A., Porat, Y. and Shirman, B. 2004. Ancient coastal wells of Caesarea Maritima, Israel, an indicator for sea level changes during the last 2000 years. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 222, 315-330.
7. Sivan, D. and Porat, N. 2004. Late Pleistocene contemporaneous formation of calcareous aeolianite (kurkar) and paleosol (hamra) in the Carmel coast, Israel. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology (Palaeo3) 211, 95– 106.
8. Kadosh, D., Sivan, D., Kutiel, H., Evron-Weinstein, M. 2004. Late Quaternary environmental changes based on stratigraphy and palynological data obtained from Dor, Carmel Coast, Israel. Palynology, 28: 143-157.
9. Cohen – Seffer, Rs., Greenbaum, N., Sivan, D., Barmeir, E., Croitoru, S., Inbar, M. 2005. Late Pleistocene - Holocene marsh episodes along the Carmel coast, Israel. Quaternary International, 140-141,103-120.
10. Sivan, D.,Potasman, M., Almogi-Labin, A., Bar-Yosef Mayer, D.E., Spanier, E., Boaretto E. 2006. The Glycymeris query along the coasts and shallow shelf of Israel, south east Mediterranean Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology (Palaeo3), 233, 134-148.
11. Zviely, D., Sivan, D., Ecker, A., Bakler, N., Rohrlich, V., Galili ‚ E., Boaretto,E., Klein, M., Kit, E. 2006. The Holocene evolution of the Haifa Bay area, Israel, and its influence on ancient human settlements. The Holocene16 (6), 849-861.
12 . Hyams-Kaphzan, O., Almogi-Labin, A., Sivan, D., Benjamini, C. 2008. Benthic foraminifera assemblage change along the southeastern Mediterranean inner shelf due to fall-off of Nile-derived siliciclastics. Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie - Abhandlungen , 248/3, 315–344, E. Schweizerbart Science Publishers.
13 . Porat, N., Sivan, D., Zviely, D. 2008. Late Holocene embayment and sedimentological infill processes in Haifa Bay, SE Mediterranean. Israel Journal of Earth Sciences 57: 21-23.
14. Boaretto, E., Mienis, H.K., Sivan, D. 2010. Reservoir age based on pre-bomb shells from the intertidal zone along the coast of Israel. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, 268, 966-968.
15. Anzidei, M., Antonioli, F., Benini, A., Lambeck, K.,Sivan, D., Serpelloni, E., Stocchi, P. 2011. Sea level change and vertical land movements since the last two millennia along the coasts of southwestern Turkey and Israel . Quaternary International 232, 1-2, 13-20,
16. Sivan, D., Schattner, U., Morhange, C., Boaretto, E. 2010. What can a sessile mollusk tell about the Neotectonics of Eastern Mediterranean? Earth and Planetary Science Letters (EPSL), 296, 3-4, 451-458.
17. Sivan, D., Greenbaum, N., Cohen-Seffer, R., Sisma-Ventura, G., Almogi-Labin, A. 2011. The origin and disappearance of the Late Pleistocene – Early Holocene short-lived coastal wetlands along the Carmel coast, Israel. Quaternary Research, 76, 1, 83-92.
18. Gehrels, W. R., Horton, B., Kemp, A. C., Sivan, D. 2011. Two Millennia of Sea Level Data: The Key to Predicting Change. Eos, 92.35.
19. Toker, E., Sivan, D., Stern, E., Shirman, B. Tsimplis, M., Spada, G. 2012. Evidence for centennial scale sea level variability during the Medieval Climate Optimum (Crusader Period) in Israel, eastern Mediterranean. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 315-316, 51-61.
20. Avnaim-Katav, S. , Almogi-Labinb, A., Sandler, A., Sivan, D., Porat, N., Matmon, A. 2012. The chronostratigraphy of a Quaternary sequence at the distal part of the Nile littoral cell, Haifa Bay, Israel. Journal of Quaternary Science (JQS). 27(7) 675–686.
21. Avnaim-Katav, S.,Almogi-Labin, A., Sandler, A. and Sivan, D. 2013. Benthic foraminifera and ostracods as paleoenvironmental indicators during the last million years in the eastern Mediterranean inner shelf. 2013. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology (Palaeo3). 386: 512–530.Doi. .1016/j.palaeo.2013.06.019 .
22. Shtienberg, G., Zviely, D.,Sivan, D., Lazar, M. 2014. Two centuries of coastal morphology changes in the prominent site of Caesarea, Israel. Geo-Marine Letters, 34: 365-379.
23. Roskin, J., Sivan. D., Porat,N., Shtienberg, G., Roskin, E., Bookman, R. 2015. Natural and human controls of the Holocene evolution of the beach, aeolian sand and dunes of Caesarea (Israel). Aeolian Research,19, Part A: 65-85. Impact factor: 2.31.
24. Sisma-Ventura, G; Zohar, I; Sarkar, A; Bhattacharyya, K; Zidane; A, Gilboa, A; Bar-Oz, G; Sivan, D. 2015. Late Holocene oxygen isotope composition of Sparidae (sea bream) tooth enamel as an environmental proxy in the Mediterranean Sea: A case study from Tel Dor, Israel. Journal of Archaeological Science 64, 46-53. Impact factor 2.139. The research was initiated by me (following previous research).
25. Sivan, D; Greenbaum,N; Cohen-Seffer,Rs; Sisma-Ventura, G; Almogi-Labin, A; Porat,N; Melamed,Y; Boaretto E; and Avnaim-Katav, S. 2016. Palaeo-environmental archive of groundwater-surface water interaction zone, the Kebara wetlands, Carmel coast, Israel. Quaternary International 138-149. Impact factor 2.166.V. doi: 10.1016/j.quaint.2015.03.036. I initiated and coordinated the research.
26. Elyashiv, Hs., Bookman, R., Zviely, D., Avnaim-Katav, S., Sandler, A., Sivan, D. 2016. The interplay between relative sea-level rise and sediment supply at the distal part of the Nile littoral cell. The Holocene, 26(2) 248–264. Impact factor 2.283. doi:10.1177/0959683615608687.
27. Shtienberg, Gs., Dix, J., Waldmann, N., Makovsky, Y., Golan, A., Sivan, D. 2016. Late-Pleistocene evolution of the continental shelf of central Israel, a case study from Hadera. Geomorphology. Impact factor 2.785. Available online: 12-MAR-2016. doi: 10.1016/j.geomorph.2016.03.008.
28. Avnaim-Katav, S., Sivan, D., Agnon, A., Almogi-Labin, A. 2016. Calcareous assemblages of the southeastern Mediterranean low-tide estuaries – seasonal dynamics and paleo-environmental implications. Journal of Sea Research. Impact factor 1.990. doi: 10.1016/j.seares.2015.12.002.
29. A. Düsterhus , A. Rovere, A. E. Carlson , N. L. M. Barlow , T. Bradwell , A. Dutton , R. Gehrels, F. D. Hibbert , M. P. Hijma, B. P. Horton, V. Klemann, R. E. Kopp, D. Sivan, L. Tarasov, T. E. Törnqvist. 2016. Palaeo-sea-level and palaeo-ice-sheet databases: problems, strategies, and perspectives. Climate of the Past, 12, 911–921. Impact factor 3.38. doi:10.5194/cp-12-911-2016.
30. Avnaim-Katav, Ss., Milker, Y., Schmiedl, G., Sivan, D., Hyams-Kaphzan, O., Sandler, A., Almogi-Labin, A. 2016. Impact of eustatic and tectonic processes on the southeastern Mediterranean shelf: Quantitative reconstructions using a foraminiferal transfer function. Marine Geology 376, 26–38. Impact factor 2.710.
31. Sivan D., Sisma-Ventura G., Greenbaum N., Bialik O.M., Williams, F.H,. Tamisiea,M.E,, Rohling, E.J., Frumkin, A., Avnaim-Katav S., Shtienberg G., Stein M. Eastern Mediterranean sea levels through the last interglacial from a coastal-marine sequence in northern Israel. 2016. Quaternary Science Reviews (QSR), 204-225.
DOI information: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2016.06.001. Impact factor 4.572.
32. Avnaim-Katav, S., Almogi-Labin, A., Agnon, A., Porat, N., Sivan, D. 2017. Holocene hydrological events and human induced environmental changes reflected in a southeastern Mediterranean fluvial archive. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology (Palaeo3), 468, 263-275. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2016.12.021
33. Shtienberg, Gs., Dix, J., Roskin, J., Waldmann, N., Bookman, R., Bialik, O.M., Porat, N., Taha, N., Sivan, D. New perspectives on coastal landscape reconstruction of central Israel during the Late Quaternary. Accepted (on 24.12.16) to Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology (Palaeo3). The paper is part of G. Shtienberg Ph.D supervised by me and Dr. J. Dix from Southampton, UK.
Articles or Chapters in Scientific Peer Review Books (which are not Conference Proceedings)
1. Sivan, D. 1986. “Paleo-shorelines in the Akko Area in the Holocene”. In: Antiquities of the Western Galilee (M.Yedaaya, ed.), Israel Defence Ministry: 113-123 (In Hebrew)
2. Lambeck, K, Sivan, D and Purcell, A. 2007. Timing of the last Mediterranean Sea - Black Sea connection from isostatic models and regional sea-level data, in The Black Sea Flood Question: Changes in Coastline, Climate and Human Settlement, Yanko-Hombach, V., Gilbert, A.S., Panin, N., Dolukhanov, P.M. (eds.). Springer, The Netherlands: 797-808.
3. Lichter, M., Zviely, D., Klein, M., Sivan, D. 2010. Sea-level changes in the Mediterranean: past, present and future - a review, In : Seaweeds and their role in Globally Changing Environments. Israel, Alvaro, R., Seckbach, J. (eds.). Series: Cellular Origin, Life in Extreme Habitats and Astrobiology, Vol.15, Part 1, Springer: 5-18
Accepted for Publication
1. Cohen-Seffere, R., Sivan, D., Greenbaum, N., Almogi-Labin, A., Rossenfeld, A., Mienis, H.K. (in press). The Holocene Carmel coast wetland landscape. InThe Ancient Dam on Nahal Tanninim, the Excavations at the Nahal Tanninim Dam and the Adjacent Area, Chapter 4: Porath, Y., 'Ad, U., Said, A. (eds.). Monograph series of the Israel Antiquity Authority (IAA).
2. Sivan, D. and Greenbaum, N. Middle -Late Quaternary wetlands along the coastal plain of Israel - an archive of environmental proxies. In: Y. Enzel and O. Bar-Yosef, (eds), Quaternary of the Levant, Cambridge University press. Invited chapter.
Main courses taught in recent years:
Global sea-levels and the history of deglaciation: Seminars in Hebrew and in English
Quaternary dating methods
Quaternary environmental changes along the Israeli coast and their affinity to human settlement
Late Quaternary climates changes